Methods and Techniques - Dating Techniques -
Radiocarbon Dating Problems and Perils
- Aravena, R., B. G. Warner, G. M. MacDonald,
and K. I. Hanf 1992
- Carbon Isotope Composition of Lake Sediments in Relation to
Lake Productivity and Radiocarbon Dating.
Quaternary Research 37:333-345.
AEU SCI QE 696 Q24 Deals with Toboggan Lake
(Alberta) and Chesney Bog (Ontario).
- Arnold, L. D. 1995
- Conventional Radiocarbon Dating.
In Dating Methods for Quaternary Deposits, edited by N.
Rutter and N. R. Catto, pp. 107-115. GeoText2. Geological
Association of Canada, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada.
AEU SCI QE 696 D38 1995 A review article
describing the method and some of the constraints and analytical
- Björk, S., and B. Wohlfarth 2001
- 14C Chronostratigraphic Techniques in
In Tracking Environmental Change Using Lake Sediments. Volume
1. Basin Analysis, Coring, and Chronological Techniques,
by W. M. Last and J. P. Smol, pp. 205-245. Developments in
Paleoenvironmental Research Volume 1. Kluwer Academic Publishers,
Dordrecht, The Netherlands.
- MacDonald, G. M., R. P. Beukens, and W. E.
- Radiocarbon Dating of Limnic Sediments: A Comparative
AEU SCI QH 540 E19
- MacDonald, G. M., R. P. Beukens, W. E.
Kieser, and D. H. Vitt 1987
- Comparative Radiocarbon Dating of Terrestrial Plant
Macrofossils and Aquatic Moss from the "Ice-Free Corridor" of
AEU SCI QE 1 G3455
- Taylor, R. E. 1987
Radiocarbon Dating: A Handbook for Archaeologists.
Press, New York, USA. 212 pages.
AEU HSS CC 78 T245
- Taylor, R. E. 2000
- Fifty Years of Radiocarbon Dating.
American Scientist 88(January-February
AEU SCI Q 1 A51 A brief history of the
technique, in particular the research on the relationship between
C14 and time (the De Vries effect). Discrepancies
highlighted by comparison with calendrical ages from tree-rings.
Now goes back to 11,800 years (Irish oak, German oak and pine).
Differences are not regular through time but vary. Comparison
234U/232Th ratios from corals allows
calibration to around 24,000 yr BP. Advent of AMS in late 1970s
smaller samples, shorter count times, but still limited to around
50,000 yr BP because of practical problems of sample preparation.
Discusses direct dating by AMS of human skeleton material that
thought to be pre-Clovis - none so far yielded ages older than
11,000 yr BP. A useful historical review article.
- Wang, Y., R. Amundson, and S. Trumbore 1996
- Radiocarbon Dating of Soil Organic Matter.
Quaternary Research 45:282-288.
AEU SCI QE 696 Q24
- Wilson, M. C. 1993
- Radiocarbon Dating in the Ice-Free Corridor: Problems and
In The Palliser Triangle: A Region in Time and Space,
edited by R. W. Barendregt, M. C. Wilson and F. J. Jankunis, pp.
165-206. The University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, Alberta,
AEU SCI QE 696 P168 1993